Statutory Minimum Wage
Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW) (HK$32.5 per hour with effect of 1 May 2015) does not apply to student interns as well as work experience students during a period of exempt student employment.
In such cases, student needs to provide a document called "Confirmation of Student Intern (or Work Experience Student) Status Under the Minimum Wage Ordinance" (can be downloaded below) and be brought to the Applied Physics Department (Cecilia at CD616) to seek endorsement.
Confirmation of “student intern” status under the Minimum Wage Ordinance 《最低工資條例》（第608章）「實習學員」身份確認書 (Download)
Confirmation of “work experience student” status under the Minimum Wage Ordinance 《最低工資條例》（第608章）「工作經驗學員」學生身份確認書 (Download)
Detail instructions can be found in the WIE Application Procedure page.
Note that student has the right to not accept a placement offer that is below the statutory minimum wage.
- Student interns. A student may be considered a student intern and be eligible to apply for SMW exception provided that the work is a compulsory or elective component of the requirements of a full-time education programme. (i.e. placements or internships endorsed and approved as Work-Integrated Education (WIE)). Exemption cannot be granted under this category if the student has completed the required number of WIE hours already.
- Work experience students. A student who has completed the WIE requirement already may be considered as a work experience student and be eligible to apply for SMW exemption provided all the following conditions are met:
- under the age of 26 years at the beginning of employment
- student has not commenced another exempt
student employment period within the same
- Under the work experience student category, a continuous period of up to 59 days as exempt student employment may be granted.
Further informaton concerning the statutory minimum wage can be found from the links below. Please read the following for more details
- Hong Kong Labour Department webpage on the Minimum Wage Ordiinance (click here)