Dr. ZHANG, Xuming
B.Eng., University of Science & Technology of China (USTC), CHINA
M.Eng., Shanghai Institute of Optics &Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, CHINA
M.Eng., National University of Singapore (NUS), SINGAPORE
Ph.D., Nanyang Technological University, SINGAPORE
Department of Applied Physics, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
– AP10006 Physics II (Sem1 & Sem2)
– AP40001 Advanced Physics Lab (Sem1)
– AP40004 Final-year projects (coordinator)
– Optofluidic devices and systems
– Photocatalysis, artificial photosynthesis, water splitting
– Water purification, microfluidic reactors
– Biophotonics, micro-optics and nano-photonics
1. X. M. Zhang, Photonic MEMS devices – design, fabrication and control, Ch. 5-8, ed. A. Q. Liu, Taylor-Francis, 2008.
Journal Publications (selected)
Full list of journal and conference publications: download
1. Qingming Chen, Aoqun Jian, Zhaohui Li, and Xuming Zhang*, Optofluidic tunable lenses using laser-induced thermal gradient, Lab on a Chip (in press, back cover). Video of focusing
2. Tenghao Li, Qingming Chen, Yunfeng Xiao and Xuming Zhang*, Variable optical delay line using discrete harmonic oscillation in waveguide lattices, Journal of Lightwave Technology (in press).
3. Xiaowen Huang, Yujiao Zhu, Xuming Zhang*, Zhiyong Bao, Dang Yuan Lei, Weixing Yu, Jiyan Dai, Yu Wang, Clam-inspired nanoparticle immobilization method using adhesive tape as microchip substrate, Sensors and Actuators B Chemical, vol. 222, pp. 106 – 111, 18 August 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2015.08.069
4. Y. Bao, X. W. Yi, Z. H. Li*, Q. M. Chen, J. P. Li, X. D. Fan and X. M. Zhang*, A digitally generated ultrafine optical frequency comb for spectral measurements with 0.01-pm resolution and 0.7-μs response time, Light: Science& Applications, vol. 4, paper no. e300, 19 June 2015.
5. F. R. Wang, G. Q. Zhang, Z. Zhao, H. Q. Tan, W. X. Yu, X. M. Zhang and Z. C. Sun, TiO2 nanosheet array thin film for self-cleaning coating, RSC Advances, vol. 5, no. 13, pp. 9861 – 9864, 06 Jan 2015.
6. N. Wang, F. R. Tan, L. Wan, M. C. Wu and X. M. Zhang*, Microfluidic reactors for visible-light photocatalytic water purification assisted with thermolysis, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 054122, 24 October 2014.
7. S. Y. Cao, C. S. Chen*, T. G. Liu, Y. H. Tsang*, X. M. Zhang, W. W. Yu, and W. W. Chen, Synthesis of reduced graphene oxide/a-Bi2Mo3O12@ b-Bi2O3 heterojunctions by organic electrolytes assisted UV-excited method, Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 257, pp. 309–316, 2014.
8. S. Y. Cao, W. X. Yu, T. S. Wang, H. H. Shen, X. D. Han, W. B. Xu, and X. M. Zhang, Meta-microwindmill structure with multiple absorption peaks for the detection of ketamine and amphetamine type stimulants in terahertz domain, Optical Materials Express, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1876 – 1884, 1 September 2014.
9. C. Y. Tang, X. M. Zhang, Y. Chai, L. Hui, L. L. Tao, and Y. H. Tsang*, Controllable parabolic lensed liquid-core optical fiber by using electrostatic force, Optics Express, vol. 22, no. 17, pp. 20948 – 20953, 25 August 2014.
10. A. Q. Jian, L. L. Deng, S. B. Sang, Q. Q. Duan, X. M. Zhang, W. D. Zhang, Surface plasmon resonance sensor based on an angled optical fiber, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 3229 – 3235, September 2014.
11. C. Y. Tang, G. X. Bai, K. L. Jim, X. M. Zhang, K. H. Fung, Y. Chai, Y. H. Tsang, J. Q. Yao, and D. G. Xu, Lensed water-core teflon-amorphous fluoroplastics optical fiber, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp.1538 – 1542, 15 April 2014.
12. N. Wang, X. M. Zhang*, Y. Wang, W. X. Yu and Helen L. W. Chan, Microfluidic reactors for photocatalytic water purification, Lab on a Chip, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1074 – 1082, 21 March 2014.
13. S. Y. Cao, W. X. Yu, L. T. Zhang, C. Wang, X. M. Zhang, and Y. Q. Fu, Broadband efficient light absorbing in the visible regime by a metananoring array, Annalen der Physik, vol. 526, no. 1–2, pp. 112–117, January 2014.
14. A. Q. Jian, and X. M. Zhang, Resonant optical tunneling effect: Recent progress in modeling and applications, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics (invited review), vol. 19, no. 3, paper no. 9000310, May/June 2013.
15. X. M. Zhang, Y. L. Chen, R-S Liu and D. P. Tsai, Plasmonic Photocatalysis, Reports on Progress in Physics, vol. 76, no. 4, paper no. 046401, April 2013.
16. G. X. Bai, Y. H. Tsang, K. L. Jim, and X. M. Zhang, UV-curable liquid-core fiber lenses with controllable focal length, Optics Express, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 5505–5510, 27 February 2013.
17. C. Pang, M. Yu, X. M. Zhang, A.K. Gupta, and K.M. Bryden, Multifunctional optical MEMS sensor platform with heterogeneous fiber optic Fabry–Pérot sensors for wireless sensor networks, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 188, pp. 471–480, Dec 2012.
18. A. Q. Jian, K. Zhang, Y. Wang, S. P. Lau, Y. H. Tsang, X. M. Zhang, Microfluidic flow direction control using continuous-wave laser, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 329–334, Dec 2012. (Acknowledged projects: A-PD1S, G-YH81, B-Q26F (i.e., 5327/11E))
19. Z. F. Chen, Z. H. Yong, C. W. Leung, X. M. Zhang, Y. H. Chen, H. L. W. Chan, Y. Wang, Time-variant 1D photonic crystals using flowing microdroplets, Optics Express, vol. 20, no. 22, paper no. 24330, 22 Oct 2012.
20. N. Wang, M. Feng, Z. Q. Feng, M. Y. Lam, L. Gao, B. Chen, A. Q. Liu, Y. H. Tsang and X. M. Zhang, Narrow-linewidth tunable lasers with retro-reflective external cavity, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 24, no. 18, pp. 1591 – 1593, 15 Sep 2012.
21. N. Wang, X. M. Zhang, B. L. Chen, W. Z. Song, N. Y. Chan, and Helen L. W. Chan, Microfluidic photoelectrocatalytic reactors for water purification with integrated visible-light source, Lab on a Chip, vol. 12, no. 20, pp. 3983–3990, 27 July 2012. (Acknowledged projects: 1-ZV5K, A-PM21 and A-PL16, B-Q26F)
22. Y. Yang, A. Q. Liu, L. K. Chin, X. M. Zhang, D. P. Tsai, C. L. Lin, C. Lu, G. P. Wang and N. I. Zheludev, Optofluidic waveguide as a transformation optics device for lightwave bending and manipulation, Nature Communications, vol. 3, paper no. 651, 31 January 2012.
23. Y. H. Fu, A. Q. Liu, W. M. Zhu, X. M. Zhang, D. P. Tsai, J. B. Zhang, T. Mei, J. F. Tao, H. C. Guo, X. H. Zhang, J. H. Teng, N. I. Zheludev, G. Q. Lo, and D. L. Kwong, A micromachined reconfigurable metamaterial via reconfiguration of asymmetric split-ring resonators, Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 3589–3594, Aug 2011.
24. A. Q. Jian, X. M. Zhang, W. M. Zhu, and A. Q. Liu, Liquid refractive index sensors using resonant optical tunneling effect for ultra-high sensitivity, Sensors and Actuators A Physical, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 347-351, October 2011. (Acknowledged projects: A-PD1S, G-YH81, 1-ZV5K)
25. N. Wang, L. Lei, X. M. Zhang, Y. H. Tsang, Y. Chen, and Helen L.W. Chan, A comparative study of preparation methods of nanoporous TiO2 films for microfluidic photocatalysis, Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 2797–2799, August 2011. (reported to AP by Peter) (Acknowledged projects: A-PD1S, G-YH81, G-YH91)
26. W. M. Zhu, A. Q. Liu, X. M. Zhang, D. P. Tsai, T. Bourouina, J. H. Teng, X. H. Zhang, H. C. Guo, H. Tanoto, T. Mei, G. Q. Lo, and D. L. Kwong, Switchable magnetic metamaterials using micromachining processes, Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 15, pp. 1792–1796, 19 April 2011.
27. S. T. F. Lee, K. H. Lam, X. M. Zhang and H. L. W. Chan, High-frequency ultrasonic transducer based on lead-free BSZT piezoceramics, Ultrasonics, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 811-814, Oct 2011.
28. S. T. F. Lee, K. H. Lam, L. Lei, X. M. Zhang, and H. L. W. Chan, An integrated microfluidic chip with 40 MHz lead-free transducer for fluid analysis, Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 82, no. 2, paper no. 024903, 25 Feb 2011.
29. K. Zhang, A. Q. Jian, X. M. Zhang, Y. Wang, Z. H. Li, and H-Y Tam, Laser-induced thermal bubbles for microfluidic applications, Lab on a Chip, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1389-1395, 17 Feb 2011. (Acknowledged projects: A-PD1S, G-YH81, 1-ZV5K)
30. L. Lei, N. Wang, X. M. Zhang, Q. D. Tai, D. P. Tsai and Helen L.W. Chan, Optofluidic planar reactors for photocatalytic water treatment using solar energy, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 4, no. 4, paper no. 043004, 30 December 2010. (Photography used by a Nature Photonics review article “D. Erickson, D. Sinton and D. Psaltis, Optofluidics for energy applications, Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 10, Oct 2011.”) (Acknowledged projects: A-PD1S, G-YH81, 1-ZV5K)
31. A. Q. Jian, X. M. Zhang, W. M. Zhu, and M. Yu, Optofluidic refractometer using resonant optical tunneling effect, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 4, no. 4, paper no. 043008, 30 December 2010. (Acknowledged projects: A-PD1S, G-YH81, 1-ZV5K)
32. Z. G. Li, Y. Yang, X. M. Zhang A. Q. Liu, J. B. Zhang, L. Cheng and Z. H. Li, Tunable visual color filter using microfluidic grating, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 4, no. 4, paper no. 043013, 30 December 2010.
33. Y. Chen, L. Lei, K. Zhang, J. Shi, L. Wang, H. Li, X. M. Zhang, Y. Wang, and Helen L. W. Chan, Optofluidic microcavities: dye-lasers and bio-sensors, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 4, no. 4, paper no. 043002, 30 December 2010.
34. Y. F. Yu, Y. H. Fu, X. M. Zhang, A. Q. Liu, T. Bourouina, T. Mei, Z. X. Shen, and D. P. Tsai, Pure angular momentum generator using a ring resonator, Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 21651-21662, 11 October 2010.
35. H. Cai, X. M. Zhang, A. Q. Liu, B. Liu, M. B. Yu, G. Q. Lo and D. L. Kwong, Discretely tunable micromachined injection-locked lasers, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 20, no. 8, paper no. 085018, 8 July 2010.
36. J. Q. Yu, Y. Yang, A. Q. Liu, L. K. Chin and X. M. Zhang, Microfluidic droplet grating for reconfigurable optical diffraction, Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1890-1892, 1 June 2010.
37. H. Bae, X. M. Zhang, H. Liu and M. Yu, Miniature surface-mountable Fabry-Pérot pressure sensor constructed with a 45-degree angled fiber, Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1701-1703, 15 May 2010.
38. X. M. Zhang, Y. X. Liu, H. Bae, C. Pang, and M. Yu, Phase modulation with micromachined resonant mirrors for low-coherence fiber-tip pressure sensors, Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 26, pp. 23965–23974, 21 December 2009.
39. E. H. Khoo, A. Q. Liu, X. M. Zhang, E. P. Li, J. Li, D. Pinjala and B. S. Luk'yanchuk, Exact step-coupling theory for mode-coupling behavior in geometrical variation photonic crystal waveguides, Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 3, paper no. 035101, 1 July 2009.
1. Lei Gao, Bo Chen, Guangyong Zhang, Xuming Zhang, A type of external-cavity laser (一种外腔激光器), China patent no. CN103004039B, 2015.
2. M. Yu, H. Bae, and X. M. Zhang, Ultra-miniature fiber-optic pressure sensor system and method of fabrication, US Patents 8,966,988 B2, 2015.
3. M. Yu, S. Nesson, Y. X. Liu and X. M. Zhang, Ultra-miniature fiber-optic pressure sensor array system, US patent 8,151,648, 2012.
4. A. Q. Liu, X. J. Liang, X. M. Zhang and Y. Sun, Cell analysis using laser with external cavity, US patent 7,767,444, 2010.
5. A. Q. Liu, V. M. Murukeshan, X. M. Zhang, and C. Lu, Optical crossconnect and mirror system, Singapore patent 95,730, 2006.
6. A. Q. Liu, V. M. Murukeshan，X. M. Zhang, and C. Lu, Optical crossconnect and mirror systems, US patent 6,788,843, 2004.
Honors and Awards
1. 2014, Best Paper Award, Optofluidics 2014 conference, 28 - 30 Aug 2014, Guangzhou, China.
2. 2013, Best Poster Award, ICMAT2013 conference, 30 Jun – 5 Jul 2013, Singapore.
3. 2011, Best Paper Award, Optofluidics 2011 conference, 11 - 13 Dec 2011, Xi'an, China.
4. 2006, IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards, Singapore.
5. 2006, Chinese State Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad, Ministry of Education of China.
6. 2005, Singapore Millennium Foundation (SMF) Postdoctoral Fellow.
7. 2005, Young Inventor Awards, Asian Wall Street Journal, Hong Kong.
8. 2005, Gold Prize in CoE Technology Exhibition, Singapore.
9. 2003, Gold Prize in CoE Technology Exhibition, Singapore.
1. Benjamin Skuse, Waste not, want not, International Innovation, no. 148, 14 August 2014, pp. 66–68.
2. SPIE Newsroom, Optofluidic transformation optics for innovative devices, 24 October 2012. (DOI: 10.1117/2.1201210.004509).
3. David Pile, Photoelectrocatalysis - Improved efficiency, Nature Photonics, vol. 6, no. 10, Oct 2012, pp. 637.
4. Oliver Graydon, Laser-induced bubbles create valves and pumps, Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 5, May 2011, pp. 256.
5. Jason Socrates Bardi, Trapped sunlight cleans water, AIP press release, 10 Jan 2011. http://www.newswise.com/
6. Ovidiu Sandru, Photocatalysis-based water purifier uses sunlight to break down impurities, The Green Optimistic, 11 Jan 2011. http://www.greenoptimistic.com/.
7. Ben Coxworth, Microfluidics and sunlight combined to purify water, Gizmag, 16 Jan 2011. http://www.gizmag.com/
8. Daniel Burgess, MEMS structures used to injection-lock miniature laser, Photonics Spectra, pp. 16, Oct 2005.
9. “Miniaturized injection-locked laser using microelectromechanical systems technology,” published in Applied Physics Letters 87, 101101 (2005), has been selected for the September 12, 2005 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, http://www.vjnano.org.
10. "Tunable laser using micromachined grating with continuous wavelength tuning," published in Applied Physics Letters 85, 3684 (2004), has been selected for the November 15, 2004 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, http://scitation.aip.org/journals/doc/APPLAB-ft/vol_85/iss_17/3684_1-div0.html.
11. Manfred Lindinger, Laserlicht nach Belieben Ein winziger beweglicher Spiegel beeinflubt die Wellenlänge (English translation: Laser light at discretion), Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, pp. 32, 9 Feb 2004.
12. Tami Freeman, Optical attenuators get more from MEMS, 8 July 2002, fibers.org, http://fibers.org/articles/news/4/7/6/1.
13. Tami Freeman, Low-driving-voltage VOAs exploit MEMS, FibreSystems Europe, pp. 11, June 2002.
14. Sunny Bains, Fully integrated micromachine laser is tunable, WDM Solutions, pp. 10, July 2001.