The aims of this subject are to provide up-to-date treatment of the optical design at an introductory level. The scope of this subject is aimed in the field of geometrical optics and optical instrumentation.
· The Art and Science of Optical Design, R.R.Shannon, Cambridge University Press, 1997
· Optical System Design, R.E.Fischer & B.T.-Galeb, McGraw-Hill, 2008
· Modern Optical Engineering, W.Smith, McGraw-Hill, 2008
· Introduction to Lens Design: with Practical ZEMAX Examples, J.Geary, Willmann-Bell,
· Practical Computer-Aided Lens Design, G.H.Smith, Willmann-Bell
Software Used: ZEMAX-SE or ZEMAX-EE
· Paraxial optics; Ray tracing; Lens system, Physical optics, Optical materials.
· First-order aberrations, Third-order aberrations, Chromatic aberrations, Image quality measures, Optical transfer function (OTF), OTF computation.
· Merit function, Optical design procedures, Lens design optimization, Tolerance analysis.
· Radiation, Color and Color Rendering, Practical light sources and laws of illumination, Interior and exterior illumination designs, Methods for calculating illumination.
· Mini-projects on the design and optimization of singlet/doublet, spectrometer, beam expander, double Gauss camera lenses, Newtonian telescope, Maksutov telescope, zoom lens, and chromatic prism.
Lecture Notes will be available soon.....